The delicious sweet flavours in this jerk chicken burger make for a perfect summer lunch.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Spicy and tangy Caribbean flavours combine with Canadian sweetness for a flawless burger. Basting the spicy chicken in maple syrup adds depth of flavour, while the slaw adds crunch.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 50ml pure maple syrup
- 4 large rolls or brioche buns
- Little Gem lettuce
- 1 beef tomato
- 1 mango, stoned, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 spring onions, nely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- Zest and juice of lime
- 1⁄2 red cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 1 Braeburn apple, cored and grated
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 red onion, nely sliced
- 100ml pure maple syrup
- 100g thick natural yoghurt
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 tsp maple vinegar
In a food processor, make the jerk seasoning by blending coconut cream, chilli, spring onions, garlic and ginger.
Add the lime zest and juice. Season to taste.
Cut the thighs down to the bone and smear with jerk seasoning, then top with maple syrup.
Roast in oven 200/180ºC fan for 30 minutes until cooked through, basting with maple.
Remove the bone from chicken and build each burger with lettuce, mango and tomato.
Mix cabbage, apple, carrots and onion in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix maple syrup, natural yoghurt, lemon juice, maple vinegar and mustard.
Season and mix in the cabbage mixture.
Chill, and serve on the side of your burger.
For a healthier low-carb, high-protein alternative, double up on chicken or go bun-less and add extra side salad or maple slaw.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
KCAL 778 FAT 22.6g SAT FAT 9.3g CARBS 87.5g SUGARS 40.5g FIBRE 2.1g